It's amazing how eventful this last year has been. Every time we turned around, it seems something huge was happening. Just take a look at some of the events in 2011:
- January 11: Massive flooding and mudslides in Brazil (killing 903).
- February 11: Egypt's leader, Hosni Mubarak, is forced from power.
- March 11: A 9.1 magnitude earthquake and tsunami hits Japan (killing 15,840), and results in a nuclear crisis.
- April 29: An estimated 2 billion people watched the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
- April - May: Huge tornados hit the Southeast and Midwest.
- May 2: Osama Bin Laden is killed.
- July 21: NASA's space shuttle program is ended.
- July 31: Massive flooding in Thailand, affecting over 12 million people and causing $45 billion dollars in damage.
- August 27: Hurricane Irene hits the east coast.
- September 17: The "Occupy Wall Street" movement begins.
- October 20: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi is killed.
- October 31: Global population reaches seven billion.
- December 15: End of the Iraq war.
- December 17: North Korea's leader, Kim Jong II, dies.
This list only scratches the surface of the events of 2011. This doesn't talk about people who died, our bad economy, record high unemployment numbers, or other events that impacted us this last year. Our world is not the same as it was one year ago. Chances are, neither are you. This may have been a terrific year for you, or maybe it was one of the worst.
Only the Lord knows what will happen in 2012. He knows who will live and who will die. He knows what disasters will occur. He knows who will be President in 2012. He even knows what will happen in your life this year. God knows exactly what this year will be like. Which is all the more reason to put Him first.