I have heard that the response is a bit different in other countries.
- Germans answer a ringing phone with their last name.
- In Denmark, the Danes will answer with both their first and last names.
- Russians say, "I'm listening."
- The curious French say, "Hello, who's on the line?"
- Italians greet callers with "Ready" upon which the caller demands, "Who's
- The Spanish give the command, "Speak!"
- The Chinese proclaim, "Hey, hey, who are you?"
If you live in a different country, I'd be interested in knowing what
is your traditional way of answering a phone.
Just as there are different ways of answering phone calls, there are
also different ways to answering a call from God. God has called each of
us. We are "called to be saints" (Romans 1:7), "called into the fellowship
of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord" (I Cor. 1:9), called "according to his
own purpose and grace" (2 Timothy 1:9).
But those who are called by God have different ways of answering that
call. Moses answered God's call by saying, "Who am I?" (Exodus 3:11).
Gideon answered, "I am the least in my father's house." (Judges 6:15).
Zechariah answered, "How shall I know this?" (Luke 1:18). Isaiah answered,
"Here am I. Send me." (Isaiah 6:8).
How will you answer God's call in your life? It's a call that demands
much from you (God calls asking for nothing less than everything you have),
but it is a call that offers the presence of God in your life as you fulfill
your calling. Will you answer His call? Will you be the man or woman of
God that He has called you to be? Are you willing to accept the
responsibility that God has laid on you?
God is calling. How will you answer?